Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Collington's Black History Month Quilting Project



Anthony Battle & Aaron Trafton, Jr. - Ms. Chambers, 3rd Grade

Thanks to parent volunteer Ms. Regina Tate, students in Ms. Jacqueline Chambers’ 3rd grade class at Collington Square School recently learned to crochet an African Quilt. The Black History Month Quilting Project was chosen to enhance the students' study of the book Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt, by Deborah Hopkinson.

In addition to being a skilled quilter, Ms. Tate is also the grandmother of Collington student Melvin McDaniel. Ms. Tate taught the students how to make a straight stitch and demonstrated the square stitch and ruffles. The finished quilt is displayed across the hall from Collington's main office.

Below is an interview the students conducted with Ms. Tate about the Black History Quilting Project.


How did you learn to crochet?
I learned to crochet by practicing and teaching myself; not giving up!

At what age did you learn to crochet?
I was 16 years old

Where do you get your supplies?
I get my supplies from stores like Wal-Mart. You can find the needles in the Dollar Stores, Wal-Mart or Kmart.

Do you like to crochet?
Yes, very much so. It helps me stay busy during the day and make beautiful pieces for people I love.

What’s the difference between knitting and crocheting? 
The difference between Knitting and Crocheting is knitting uses two needles and there are different stitches with each of the needles. Crocheting uses one needle.

Do you follow a pattern?
No, I don’t follow a pattern. I create my designs.

Do you buy hats, scarves or sweaters from the store?
No, I don’t buy hats or scarves from the store. It’s more exciting to make my own.

Can you crochet a sweater?
No, I haven’t tried a sweater yet. I can do blankets, scarves and mittens.