We would like to thank The Kevin Spacey Foundation (KSF) for awarding the Baltimore Curriculum Project a generous grant. This grant was part of a KSF initiative to support local charities during their Kevin Spacey in Concert event on September 29, 2014.
One of BCP's long-time partners, the Baltimore Urban Debate League, was also awarded a grant through the KSF initiative.
This concert event was critical for KSF to provide critical scholarships for undergraduate performing arts students, competitive project grants to emerging artists, and mentorship during the process from our distinguished roster of established artists.
At the same time, KSF will expand their efforts to bring the arts to underserved youth through the HOME GROWN program.
We would also like to thank KSF for providing BCP with tickets to the concert event and after-party.
About The Kevin Spacey Foundation
The Kevin Spacey Foundation enables the creation of new work via KSF Grants, designs bespoke education opportunities through KSF Learning, and offer free university placements via KSF Scholarships.
For more information visit: http://www.kevinspaceyfoundation.com
Thursday, January 29, 2015
Thursday, January 22, 2015
Chef Cindy Wolf hosted a behind-the-scenes tour of Charleston Restaurant for a group of 22 City Springs students on January 16th.
The tour began with a cooking demonstration. Chef Wolf prepared a salad and gave students the recipe so that they could recreate the dish at home. Students learned about all of the ingredients and the proper way to work in a kitchen.
Chef Wolf talked about the importance of discipline in cooking and how she is the general of her kitchen. When she gives an order, her chefs must follow directions without "rolling their eyes" or complaining.
"Your teachers have gifts to share," said Chef Wolf. She encouraged the students to respect their teachers in order to receive these gifts.
We learned about a type of expensive beef that comes from cows that drink mostly beer and receive regular massages; why cooking shrimp with the heads on creates the tastiest sauce; and how soda from glass bottles tastes better.
After the tour, everyone sat down for a fine lunch of salad topped with baked chicken, corn bread, and cookies for dessert. The students' manners were impeccable throughout the entire meal.
As we lunched, Chef Wolf continued to answer students' questions. She shared stories of her culinary career, including the time she had the opportunity to prepare lunch for Julia Child.
After lunch, we bid Chef Wolf farewell and returned to City Springs with full bellies, full minds, and happy hearts.
We would like to thank Chef Wolf and her staff for their wonderful hospitality and for providing such an amazing experience for our students.
About Chef Cindy Wolf
Executive Chef & Co-owner, Charleston
A 2006, 2008 & 2014 James Beard Foundation finalist for Best Chef, Mid-Atlantic, Chef Wolf's cuisine is backed by French fundamentals and grounded in preparations that emphasize the natural flavors of the very finest regional products.
Charleston is an American Academy of Hospitality Sciences Five-Star Diamond award recipient, a Forbes Four-Star award recipient, and AAA Four Star Diamond Award recipient. The restaurant is recognized by Zagat for best food and service and has been rated the #1 restaurant in Baltimore by Baltimore magazine year over year.
A graduate of the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York, Wolf has received notices in Food Arts, Food & Wine, Bon Appetit, The New York Times, The Washington Times and The Washington Post. She has appeared in cooking segments on major local, national and cable television stations.
Wolf is business partners with Tony Foreman in their other restaurants which can be accessed through www.foremanwolf.com.
Friday, January 2, 2015
We would like to wish our partners a Happy and Healthy New Year! Thank you for all you do for BCP!
- AARP Experience Corps Maryland
- The Abell Foundation
- Baltimore City Public School System
- Baltimore Community Foundation
- Baltimore Education Coalition
- The Baltimore Guide
- Baltimore Orioles
- Baltimore Ravens
- Baltimore Symphony Youth Orchestras
- Baltimore Women’s Giving Circle of BCF
- Baltimore's Child
- Baltimore Urban Debate League
- Beatty Development Group
- Business Volunteers Maryland
- CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield
- Child First Authority
- Congressional Bank
- Core Knowledge Foundation
- The Daily Record
- The David L. Holder Education Foundation
- Downtown Baltimore Family Alliance
- The Dreambuilders Foundation
- Family League of Baltimore
- The Goldsmith Family Foundation
- The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation
- International Institute for Restorative Practices (IIRP)
- The Jean and Sidney Silber Foundation
- The Jewish Times
- SOURCE (Student Outreach Resource Center) at JHU
- Johns Hopkins Medicine
- Kiwanis Club of East Baltimore
- Legg Mason
- Living Classrooms Foundation
- M&T Bank
- MECU of Baltimore Inc.
- The Lois and Philip Macht Family Philanthropic Fund of The Associated: Jewish Community Federation of Baltimore
- Loyola School of Education
- The Maryland Book Bank
- McGraw-Hill Education
- Middle Grades Partnership - MGP
- Miles & Stockbridge PC
- The Mitzvah Fund for Good Deeds of BCF
- Nationwide Professional Services
- Notre Dame of Maryland University
- Northrop Grumman Corporation
- Patterson Park Audubon Center
- Patterson Park Public Charter School
- The Paul and Christina McBride Foundation
- The Reginald F. Lewis Foundation
- Sir Speedy Printing & Marketing - Columbia & Baltimore
- Summit Business Technologies
- Sylvan/Laureate Foundation
- Turner Construction
- United Way of Central Maryland
- University of Maryland Social Work Community Outreach Service - SWCOS
- US Tennis Association
- Venable LLP Foundation
- World Trade Center Institute
- The Verve Partnership
- Voyager Sopris Learning
- Whiteford Taylor & Preston LLP
- WLOY Loyola Radio, and